Basketball tryouts for all 6th, 7th, and 8th grade boys or girls, will begin Monday, November 7th.
Below is the tryout schedule for the 2022-2023 season:
Boys Tryouts: 2:30 – 4:00 PM on Monday 11/7, Wednesday 11/9, and Thursday 11/10
Girls Tryouts: 4:00 – 5:30 PM on Monday 11/7, Wednesday 11/9, and Thursday 11/10
Important Information About Tryouts:
Student Will Need…
- A t-shirt, shorts, sneakers, and socks.
- Their own water bottles. No one will be allowed to share. There is a water bubbler in the foyer of the gym and also a water bottle filler station.
- Their Parent permission/Medical Form (more information below on this)
Note: Please do not buy your child new sneakers or equipment until the teams are made. School colors are royal blue and white.
All students trying out must bring with them at try outs November 7th the parent permission/emergency form and have an updated or current physical on file. Updated means that your son or daughter has had a physical within the last two years. For example: If you son/daughter had a physical as a sixth grader he/she would need an updated physical as an eighth grader. THE UPDATED PHYSICAL DOCUMENTATION must be sent or emailed to the SMS nurse, Tricia Harris. The parent permission/emergency form must be handed to the respective coach on the first day of practice. Please do not wait until the last minute. You may download the permission/emergency form on the SMS sports website if you lose the one sent home.
All players trying out should be committed to all practices and games through out the year if they make the team. If any players have a conflict they need to speak to their respective coach on the FIRST day of tryouts please.
Please Know That…
- Tryouts will last for three days. November 7th,9th,and 10th.
- A and B boys and girls teams will be made after Thurday’s tryout.
- A roster will be posted in the girls and boys locker rooms on Monday AM, or the coach may tell the players after the tryout on Thursday. Be prepared to practice on Monday, 11/13
- There will be an A or White team and a B or Blue team for both Boys and Girls. The number of players on a team will be determined at the coaches discretion.
- Right now we do not have a boys B or Blue Team Basketball Coach.
- A long range practice schedule will be sent home later after the four teams are made. This will be physically or electronically handed out for each team by their coach
For The Girls:
- All Girls basketball players trying out should plan on going home after school and return to SMS at 4:00. Please come in through the lower back gymnasium door.
- Girls players must be picked up at 5:30 PM after practice from the back of the school by their parents, or they may walk home.
For The Boys:
- All Boy basketball players go home when practice ends at 4:00. They can go home on the late bus, walk, or they can be picked up by their parents.
- They may not stay after practice to watch the girls play.
- The late bus does not drop off at homes.
Please Note: Parents picking up their child should do so in the Upper Back Parking Lot for both girls and boys practices.
Additionally, If you child makes one of the B teams and practice is 5:30-7:00 please collect your child out back at 7:00.
- Player eligibility requirements are in the 2022 SMS Student Handbook.
- The athleic eligibility requirement has changed. Please look it up BEFORE the Basketball season starts.
- All players must also have taken the Initial Impact Test BEFORE tryouts if possible. Please check the next SMS news letter. How to take the impact test will be on it. If you son or daughter took the impact test for a 2021 fall SMS sport, they do not need to take it again.
Girls A: Lorenzo Van Horn Girls B: Paul Simpson
Boys A: Kevin Morneault Boys B: To be Announced
SMS Athletic Director